Sunday, April 15, 2012

Upsetting the World: Week 1

Hey girls! Thanks so much for your willingness to participate. I hope this helps us grow in our passion for evangelism as well as in our own love for God and for the gospel. As you read pages 1-27 this week, here are some questions to help you think through and apply what you read. Please comment to share your answers, which btw don't have to necessarily come right from the book.

1. Did you read the dedication? :)

2. What are some ways that Paul can be an example to us in our evangelism?

3. How can we relate to Paul in evangelism? (What's similar about his situation and ours?)

4. What can we do to grow more competent in our handling of the Scripture in evangelism?

5. What kind of opposition can you expect from your efforts at evangelism?

6. What is our motivation in evangelism?

Oh and as we're reading this, I think it'd be cool to share any experiences or opportunities we get to evangelize. :) Have a great week! Next assignment will be here in one week.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Yes! I did! Way cool. :)

    2. I've always thought that Paul's humility as he preached is one of the main things for us to imitate. It's one of the hardest things, anyway. :)

    3. I thought about this as I was reading. I was thinking "Well, Paul didn't live in a world where Christians were stereotyped and the Christian message was pretty well-known..."
    Then I thought about how a lot of people don't know the specifics of the gospel. They might know the general life, death, resurrection story, but they don't know or realize the implications of that story--what it means for us. That's how I think we relate to Paul. He was giving the same exact message that we are.

    4. Studying Paul's example! Reading the Old Testament and see how we can fit it in with the New. Comparing the prophecies and the gospel and seeing how one fulfills the other. A good knowledge of these will certainly help us when using Scripture in evangelism. (Communicating with God through prayer and asking Him to guide us always helps too) :)

    5. Well, in my experience I've always had a fear of rejection--people shutting you down and making you feel like an idiot for believing such things. Your pride might get crushed a little, but we've just got to remind ourselves of the truth of the message we are spreading to others.

    6. I believe our motivation is our love for God and our love for others because of what we believe about God. If we believe that there is a heaven and a hell and that God's wrath abides on those who do not know Him, then that should be our cause for spreading the gospel message. We want others to know this awesome God we serve, so we go out and tell them!

    P.S. Just as a side note, when your dad said "Team Paul" near the beginning, I couldn't help but be reminded of "Team Avatar" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie!
    Hey everyone, I wanted to share a cool answer to prayer that God gave me last weekend. I was taking Driver's Ed, and I found out that one of the girls in my class i'd been hanging out with was hindu. I began to pray for the chance to witness to her. Then on Saturday we started talking about the differences in our religions. I was able to share the gospel with her! It was so cool. I tried to do what the book we're reading suggests (though it might be later on) and establish common ground, like, acknowledge that they're religious, before presenting the gospel.

    Have any of y'all had opportunities lately you'd like to share?

    ReplyDelete