Friday, November 11, 2011

Discussion for Week of 11/13

Welcome to Week 2 in our study of "From Pride to Humility" by Stuart Scott!
This week's assignment: Read pages 9-14.


Discussion Questions:

1. Last time we left off in the middle of "Manifestations of Pride". Continuing with number 18, consider if any of the remainder of these are evident in your thoughts and behavior. If so, which ones? What are some practical ways that we can combat these manifestations - in "putting off" these different forms of pride, how can we "put on" humility? What would this look like?

2. Study the diagram on page 11 and read the corresponding paragraphs on page 12. How does having a lowly view of ourselves affect our view of God? How does it affect our interaction with and love for others?

3. Do you have a tendency to dismiss your pride as a "little sin"? According to Scripture, how seriously should we take our pride? As seriously as lying or murder? (Proverbs 6:16-19) What does God think of our pride?

4. What other steps did Job take beyond merely recognizing his pride? Based on his example, to what destination should the recognition of our pride eventually lead us?

5. We learn that there's a morbidity that comes with constantly dwelling on our sin. How can this be a form of pride in itself? How can we avoid this?

6. Is there something else in your study of pages 9-14 that you'd like to discuss? Mention it in the comment section of this post!

We've now covered much of what it means to "put off" our pride and next week we'll look more into "putting on" true humility.


"For every look at self take ten looks at Christ." - Robert Murray McCheyne

- Taylor

2 comments:

  1. 1.Okay, so I read all of the assignments for last week and this week together, so I am just gonna take both parts of the "Manifestation of Pride" list.
    I found that there really are a lot of these that I struggle with, which now that I think about it, is not really surprising at all. I think the biggest ones for me were 2(lack of gratitude), 11(People pleasing), 12(can't take criticism), 18(not admitting wrong), and 22(being too opinionated). The real problem that I found the most convicting though was 16(a lack of compassion). Without compassion it is impossible to love others and to really understand what their needs are and how we can help them. It is a major impediment to serving, relationships, and to having a right relationship with God. And while I don't have an exact verse to match my point and how to fix it, I can't help but think about how much compassion God has on us... I think it is in Psalms, but there is a verse that says, "The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, and rich in love..." That really helps me to think about how I should have compassion on others.

    2.Let see if I can make this one shorter than the one before. A lowly view of ourselves is the key to making sure we aren't puffed up with pride. If we see ourselves as we truly are, then we realize that we have nothing to be proud of. Our relationship with God will be much better because we aren't trying to replace Him and our relationship with others will be better because we aren't trying to out do them.

    3. Pride is one of those sins that just seems to say, "I'm a good thing, you'll be better off for me!" or "No biggy, I am perfect, and so are you!" If we took our pride as seriously as the scriptures do all of the time, I am sure that our hearts wouldn't be in the constant state of up and down that they currently are. It's like a disease. According to God, it is one of the "7 worst sins" we could ever commit.

    4. After Job realized that he was being prideful, and God really impressing that on him, his realization led to repentance.

    5. If we are always dwelling on our pride it can lead to depression and introversion. It is a one way ticket to becoming "the smallest package in the world". The best way to avoid it is to take our sin in little doses and deal with that before diving back in. It is like being in a pool and searching for toys that have been tied to the bottom. We can only work at the knots that keep the toys down before having to resurface, take a breath, and then head back down.

    6. Ummmm, not really, but can I just say... This is a real heart check. It almost hurts... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes, 22 (being opiniated, which is one of the biggest one for me, 30 (not seeing a need for close relationships) and 25 (being irritable towards others) and voicing opions when not asked. I should, first of all, think of how my actions please (or don't please) God before I do them. Also if I think of how those listening to me would feel if I said that.
    2. Yes, when we have a high view of ourselves, it leaves less room for others so that any respect for someone other than us may just be squished in the extra room to make us feel even better about ourselves.
    3. All sins are evil in God's eyes as it should be viewed ourselves. I find it helpful to remember that without GOD'S wonderful grace, I would be burning in hell right now. I do not deserve a second chance, but he is GRACIOUS to forgive me every time I sin (which is too often)!!!!!!
    4.Not only did he recognize pride, he humbled himself before God, repenting in "dust and ashes". I should go beyond recognization of my pride but obliviation of it.
    5.It is, because it makes us be on more of the 'self-pitying side' of the coin we talked about last week.
    6.Nothing that I can think of at the time being.

    ReplyDelete